Lessons Learned At the Pool
I spent some time by the pool this weekend (hooray for summer sunshine!) and let my mind wander. Here’s where it went.
- A cool pool on a hot day is one of life’s little luxuries.
- You don’t have to be a size 4 to rock a bikini – there are some girls who make plus size look fierce and fabulous. It’s all in the attitude.
- Gravity always wins, so it’s better to make friends with it. Invite it in and pour yourselves a nice stiff drink.
- Even skinny girls have stretch marks and cellulite.
- Everyone looks better with a tan.
- A hat and a great pair of sunglasses are all you need for a people-watching adventure.
- You’re never too old to learn how to swim. (My Nonna learned at 50 and still swims almost every day!)
- Almost no one feels totally comfortable in a bathing suit, so when you’re worried that someone is checking you out, that same person is probably thinking the same thing about you.
- Your body is the only one you’ve got. Be nice to it. Treat it kindly. Say thank you to it for all the wonderful things it lets you do every day.
- In life and in the pool, sometimes you just have to stare your fear in the face, jump into the deep end, and swim to the other side.